Sunday, July 31, 2016

Sunday...in 5 days we will be airborne and oh the things we still have to do: 1) sell our house 2) sell our vehicles 3) figure out how an international change of address works with the post office 4) figure out how an international change of address works with bills 5) set aside what will be air-shipped for the movers tomorrow 6) still need to get rid of some things we don't need. Also, because we are moving to another country - and this is not an expatriate assignment - my US job is essentially terminated in the system and then I start new in France, even though it is with the same company. This means my insurance ends and my retirement is released so we will have to roll over to an IRA.
Had this been an ex-pat, we could have continued being paid out of the US and not had to figure this out. Some people think that we're crazy for leaving everything behind without a return date...with an ex-pat, we're guaranteed a return date of which is included but with a relocation, like we're doing, there is no end date, well, unless I find a job that wants to relocate me again.
It would be a huge understatement if I said we were stressed - what gets me through is knowing in a month the dust will be settled and we will be in a good place. Just have to get through the next month.
It is interesting to hear the different opinions of people, though. For the most part we hear "what an adventure" and "what a great experience", but there are a few who don't understand why. They can't imagine why anyone would want to uproot and move to another country. I can't explain the pull, but this is something we really are excited about.


No comments:

Post a Comment